|Here's a look as some of Salem's 17th century domestic architecture that survives today. Several houses are open to the public for guided tours.|
Jonathan Corwin House(City of Salem property), The Witch House,
built after 1642, Essex Street, bought by Jonathan Corwin in 1675, is the only
structure still standing in Salem with direct ties to the Witch Trials of 1692.
Gedney House (Historic New England property), c. 1665, timber framed house
built and owned by Eleazor Gedney, a successful shipwright related
by marriage to John Turner, builder of the House of Seven Gables.
House of the Seven Gables, c. 1668 , Turner Street, built and owned by
John Turner, is also known as the Turner-Ingersoll Mansion.
Narbonne House (Salem Maritime National Historic Site property),
c. 1670, Essex Street, was home and shop at various times for a
slaughterer and tanner, rope maker, and cent-shop proprietor.
Samuel Pickman House(Peabody Essex Museum property), c. 1680,
Charter Street, facing the Salem Witch Trials Memorial, was discovered
hidden under a Victorian façade and roof.
© 2003 - 2011 Salem Preservation. All rights reserved.